Saturday, January 23, 2010

First "Official" Outing

So Bright went on her first "official" outing today with her big girl cape on! I had to run some errands, and since they were going to be quick in and out places it wouldn't be a problem for her. So off we went! She likes being in the car, but she has to see everything I am doing and wants to be a part of it.
Our first stop was Barnes & Noble. She is used to book stores since she did the fundraising at Borders over the holiday season. She was fine, but very distracted by everything around her. Everytime someone came near her, she had to look at them and wouldn't turn to look at me when I called her. Not the best, but we have time to work on that. Whenever I put her in a Down she wasn't happy, but she did stay there. YAY! Small accomplishment!Then we went over to Ulta Beauty to see if I could find my body soap there. No such luck, but it was fun to try her at weaving in and around the displays.

We then went to PetsMart so that I could see what size she would wear for Muttlukks. She seems to be very irritated by the salt used to melt snow/ice so I figured that maybe I would get some shoes for her paws so that she can wear those out. It seems that many graduates want to get their dogs used to them, so I might as well start her on getting used to them now! You never know when it might come in handy. Unfortunately they didn't have a decent pair of Medium sized ones (the mesh bags were all ripped and I was very wary about buying them in that condition) so I just put them on to see if they would fit. It was hilarious watching her get annoyed by that one on her paw! There was an older couple in the same aisle and they were laughing watching her as well. I felt bad so I took it off.

Then we wandered next door to the liquor store and did a quick browse through there.

It was a good outing for her. She was distracted by people, but she never really pulled a lot on her leash. For the most part she was on a loose leash and walked perfectly next to me. YAY! With the other dogs at PetsMart she wanted to go over and play, but I kept her on a firm leash and kept telling her No. She still did great for a 5 month old puppy!

I sure hope the rest of our outings are as easy as this one was! Way to go Bright!

2 comments:

  1. Yay for Bright! What a good girl. You certainly have a long time to work on the people distraction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Musher's Secret. The best product for protecting a dog's paws from salt and easier than booties.

    ReplyDelete